Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Yom Kippur

Baila Feldman's art embraced many periods and styles.  Towards the end of her career her paintings showed a naive primitivism with a joyful feeling of motion reinforced by bright colors.  Many of these paintings had brilliant skies or backgrounds - sometimes using gleaming gold leaf like a medieval illuminated manuscript.  The painting at right, found on an auction site for Clars Auctions is part of the "Dancing Rabbis" series.

Baila wasn't particularly religious, but she celebrated cultural and ethnic traditions in her art.

Do you have any of her work?  Please let me know.  E-mail me a photograph and I'll post it here for other fans of Baila's work to see.

Photo credit:  http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7046904
...where it is described thus:
"Framed oil and gold leaf on canvas, ''Yom Kippur,'' by Baila Feldman, signed ''Baila'' lower right, inscribed verso, overall: 36.88''h x 22.19''w. Provenance: Deaccessioned from the Judah L. Magnes Museum."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joshua, I believe I have one of Baila's paintings. Could you email me at sq676@hotmail.com? Thanks, Stacy

    ReplyDelete